DRC Reports Ebola Death In New Province
Health authorities in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) have identified an Ebola death in a province not previously affected by the country’s ongoing outbreak, raising concerns about wider transmission.
The case involved a motorcycle taxi rider who travelled from Ebola-affected Haut-Uele province to neighbouring Bas-Uele, where no cases had previously been reported, Jean-Jacques Muyembe, head of the National Institute for Biomedical Research, told Reuters.
The man died in Buta, the capital of Bas-Uele, after developing haemorrhagic symptoms associated with Ebola. Tests conducted after his death confirmed that he had the virus.
Haut-Uele is one of five provinces currently affected by the outbreak and has recorded 113 confirmed cases, according to government data published on Tuesday.
Muyembe said Bas-Uele would not officially be classified as an affected province unless local transmission was confirmed. However, the case has raised concerns because the motorcycle taxi rider reportedly visited several health facilities before his death. Other motorcycle taxi riders also attempted to retrieve his body before police intervened.
Health authorities are assessing people who may have come into contact with the deceased as they investigate the possibility of further transmission.
The outbreak, declared on May 15, is the DRC’s 17th Ebola outbreak and has become the second-largest on record. Government data released on Wednesday showed 4,566 confirmed cases and 2,128 deaths.
SOURCE: Reuters