US Lifts 12-Year Security Restrictions On Nigerian Ships
The United States has lifted security restrictions on vessels arriving from Nigeria after more than a decade, Nigeria’s Marine and Blue Economy Minister Adegboyega Oyetola said on Tuesday.
The restrictions, known as Conditions of Entry (CoE), were introduced by the US Coast Guard in June 2014 after it found deficiencies in Nigeria’s maritime security measures.
They required vessels heading to the US after calling at certain Nigerian ports to undergo additional security checks and comply with enhanced requirements before entering American waters.
The US Coast Guard had cited weaknesses in Nigeria’s legal framework, maritime oversight, access controls and cargo handling procedures.
Oyetola said the restrictions were lifted following improvements in Nigeria’s maritime security system and its compliance with the International Ship and Port Facility Security Code.
The Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency said the US Coast Guard conducted four assessments of Nigeria’s maritime security systems and port facilities between March 2024 and April 2026.
The removal of the restrictions is expected to reduce additional inspections, documentation and security costs for shipping companies operating through Nigerian ports.
Oyetola said the decision would also improve vessel turnaround times, strengthen schedule reliability and make Nigerian ports more attractive to international shipping lines.
Industry operators have previously said the restrictions contributed to delays, higher freight charges and increased insurance costs.
SOURCE: Reuters