US to admit 10,000 more white South African refugees

 US to admit 10,000 more white South African refugees

Afrikaners from South Africa arrive in Dulles, Virginia, on Monday. Photograph: Julia Demaree Nikhinson/AP

The Trump administration plans to admit up to 10,000 additional white South African refugees into the United States, arguing that Afrikaners face discrimination and persecution at home. The South African government says the claims are baseless.

The State Department told Congress on Monday that it will admit up to 17,500 Afrikaners as refugees through the fiscal year ending in September. The administration initially indicated it would admit only 7,500.

Officials cited “unforeseen developments in South Africa” for the increase. The State Department said South African government rhetoric across multiple ministries has sought to undermine the US resettlement program and attacked Afrikaners. It also cited a December incident in which South African officials raided a US refugee processing centre.

The estimated cost for resettling the additional 10,000 refugees is about $100 million.

President Trump has cut aid to South Africa and boycotted last year’s G20 summit in Johannesburg over the issue. During a May 2025 Oval Office meeting, President Cyril Ramaphosa said the behaviour Trump referenced is not government policy.

Experts in South Africa say there is no evidence of whites being targeted for their race, though farmers of all races are victims of violence in a country with high crime rates.

Avatar photo

Otaria Benjamin

As a Broadcast Journalist, Otaria hones the power of voice, narrative, and audience engagement. These skills now enrich her leadership in tech, AI and social spaces, enabling her to communicate complex ideas simply and drive community-centric innovation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *